You're probably dreaming of making your brand scale up to 8 figures...
You're reading countless books... waking up at 5 a.m. to work, or even trying all sorts of things you see on the internet that will "guarantee" success.
But here's the thing...
You don't need complicated strategies to scale your business.
Today, I will talk about some tips championed by one of the biggest names in the ecommerce industry.
An 8-figure business that scaled through SMART digital marketing efforts...
And I'm sure this blog will motivate you to keep improving your marketing strategies... because you're about to know Bushbalm's digital marketing strategy!
Let's get this show down the road!
What is Bushbalm?
Bushbalm is a skincare company aiming to prevent ingrown hairs. This is effective in soothing redness and irritation, especially if you're shaving or waxing. Bushbalm can also soften your skin and hair and is 100% vegan!
But here's the exciting part...
Bushbalm was a side hustle. It started with a $900 investment but now scaling into an 8-figure skincare company.
And recently, Shopify conducted an interview with David Gaylord, founder of Bushbalm. And you're going to find out how Bushbalm achieved this kind of success.
So, I'm sure you already want to discover the digital marketing strategies they used... and I won't keep you waiting.
Let's deep dive.
7 Killer Marketing Strategies
1. Experiment With Your Marketing Strategies
There are no one-size-fits-all marketing strategies, and it's important to test which one works best for you.
And this is exactly what Bushbalm did. They didn't stick to one digital marketing strategy because they experimented. They tried Google ads, Facebook ads, and the likes. Even offline marketing.
We can learn from them that it's okay if one of your digital marketing tactics fails. You see, success is not overnight. And Bushbalm didn't become an 8-figure skincare brand overnight.
Here are some tips while experimenting:
- Choose your KPIs or Key Performance Indicator. This is one way to know if your current strategies are working.
- Optimize your strategies from time to time. If you're running your own business, this could be a challenge. But you need to improve your marketing strategies to increase the results constantly.
Remember, not all potential customers are aware of their skin concerns. Some of them are just starting to discover the problem. So it's easy to understand why you need to experiment and find the right one.
Another lesson we learned is...
2. Try Facebook Ads
Feels like Facebook Ads isn't working in your favor? Bushbalm experienced the same!
But going back to the first thing we learned from them, you need to experiment even on your ads. Bushbalm tried different content or ads to see which received the most positive results.
According to David Gaylord, they were only posting product photos with text at first. He remembered that one of the ads said "We Love Your Pubes," which drove a high CTR or click-through rate.
While the ad didn't drive as many sales, they got a lot of traffic from it. Why? Because people were curious at first. Probably wondering what the business is all about. And it was a good start for their online advertising ride.
But moving forward, David Gaylord said that they also tried "explainer" videos. It showed what their products are about, and we can say that it was helpful for the audience.
And here are some tips on how you can create powerful ads, too.
- Try different content pillars. They ran different types of content, and both helped them increase their awareness. It just proves that there's nothing wrong with posting various content until you find what your target market likes the most.
- Plan your Facebook Ads strategy. At the same time, Bushbalm experimented with their Facebook Advertising to see what would work... so, planning and creating a robust system before advertising can also help you step up your game.
We can learn from Bushbalm that even if you try different types of content, you can get results that will help you reach your goals. For example, if your goal is to drive traffic, you can post content that will spark curiosity.
Such a fantastic lesson, right? Now, let's hop on to the next one...
3. Invest In Search Engine Optimization
I'm sure you've heard about it before... probably in comparison with SEM or Search Engine Marketing. But Search Engine Optimization goes a long way, based on Bushbalm's experience.
They didn't spend so much money on SEO when they were starting. But they spent so much time engaging and building relationships to introduce their skincare brand.
In fact, he said that until now, they are still getting higher on search engine rankings even if they wrote the blogs five years ago. And this is another lesson we need to take seriously from Bushbalm.
Because if a potential customer sees your brand on other platforms, like social media... they would go to Google and search more about your products. But if they can't find you there, you are losing potential sales.
That's why David Gaylord gives importance to Search Engine Optimization. And here are some tips on how you can implement this in your digital marketing strategy, too:
- Find the right keywords. Your potential customers wouldn't find you if you used the wrong keywords. Make sure that you're applying relevant keywords to your website or blogs.
- Try link building. David Gaylord spent some time messaging websites with "listicles" to include Bushbalm in their articles. And this paid off. So, if you want your brand to increase its visibility, this is one way to achieve that.
Compared to a paid advertisement, Search Engine Optimization takes more time to take effect. But as we can see on Bushbalm, the result is still taking effect now.
The following digital marketing lesson we learned is...
4. Influencer Marketing Works
Influencer marketing may scare some brands, including you. Why? You might be thinking of hefty influencer fees... or maybe, it won't work.
But Bushbalm proves otherwise as long as you know how you can scale influencer marketing. And they're doing an excellent job in finding the right influencer who can represent their brand.
When working with influencers, Bushbalm doesn't limit their options to mega-influencers. These are ones with hundreds of thousands to millions of followers. They're also trying to work with micro-influencers, even if they have around 2,000 followers.
These influencers can create great content for themselves and have a highly engaged audience. But for big influencers, Bushbalm tries to negotiate and narrow down their choices to the ones who can bring in more impact or brand awareness.
Let's see an example.
This is one of the Instagram posts from an influencer with over 95,000 followers.
That's why we need to take notes from them. And if you want this kind of success, here are some tips you can incorporate with your influencer marketing strategy:
- Choose the influencers that align with your brand values. As David Gaylord said, influencers are getting canceled. So, this might be a good representation of your brand, especially if you're pushing for something positive.
- Find someone with a specific niche. Let's say you're a skincare company like Bushbalm. It's essential to choose an influencer with followers interested in solving their skin concerns.
Now, it's time for you to find the RIGHT influencer to represent your brand and make sure to take the lessons we learned from Bushbalm!
The next killer digital marketing tactic is...
5. Generate Content From Users To Build Trust
Have you ever heard of User-Generated Content or UGC? If not, let me explain.
For example, you used a moisturizer. And overnight, you saw the results. Then you take photos of your face and the products, and you upload them on social media platforms or your blog. Now, the brand you're using can repost your post on their social media.
That is UGC. Your users are creating content for you. And this is one of the best marketing strategies you can ever implement.
We learned from Bushbalm how crucial is this in reinforcing brand credibility. According to its founder, they would send their products to several people. It's not even a partnership or anything, just as gifts.
And if people liked their products and were happy to receive gifts, they would share them on their platforms. This means... more sales and brand awareness for them!
But as per David Gaylord, they asked some users to create "before and after" posts for them, like this one:
This is from Bushbalm's Instagram account. And posts like this build trust among potential customers if they see the product results.
So, how can you generate UGC or User-Generated Content for your ecommerce store? Here are a few tips:
- Give them a pleasant unboxing experience. Unboxing is exciting for your customers. That's why if you give them a memorable unboxing experience, they might get their phones and share your brand with their followers.
- Offer rewards. Why not offer a small discount if your customers post about your brand? This might encourage them to create content for you.
Since you already know some ideas to generate user-generated content, it's time to...
6. Set A Budget For Marketing Channels
Ever heard of the saying, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket?"
If not, that's what Bushbalm learned over the years. It would help if you allocated your budget to your marketing channels.
David Gaylord said that on Facebook, you could do an 80/20 split. It means that you can spend on prospecting 80% of your budget on and 20% on retargeting.
Allocating your budget can help you grow on different aspects of your marketing efforts. And here are some tips on how you can effectively set a budget for each channel.
- Mix your strategy. Don't just focus on one or two digital marketing strategies. Mix it up so you know which channel can give you the best results.
- Measure the Return on Investment. This is how you can measure the success of your digital campaigns.
And last but not least...
7. Invest In Tools
"Investing" might sound scary. But not when you're investing in the right tools.
This is one of the best lessons we learned from Bushbalm. They're using tools and apps to make their lives easier. From tracking their analytics, and sending marketing emails, to generating reviews, they have tools to automate their process.
David Gaylord said they're using email marketing automation to gather reviews or User-Generated Content. For example, instead of opening another page or document to leave their thoughts. This always gives them feedback.
So, if you want to invest in tools like Bushbalm, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Determine your goal. What do you want to achieve through the tools? This will help you pin down your choices and...
- Find the right tools. As I said, if you know your goal, you can easily find the right tools that will help you achieve them. Also, analyze if the pricing and features suit your needs before purchasing.
But wait... that's not all!
Bonus Tip: Never Stop Learning!
Bushbalm doesn't stop learning. In fact, they're constantly improving their marketing efforts. Because David Gaylord believes that being hands-on is one of the best ways to learn, implementing can help you grow your skills and dig deep into your business.
So, if something doesn't work out, at least you learned something. And you can use it on your next digital campaigns.
Don't be afraid to fail and never stop learning. Because if you don't stop trying, you can achieve the same results as Bushbalm did.
Now, what are you waiting for?
Implement These Strategies And Increase Your Sales!
But wait... before you implement these, you have to make sure that your strategies and business align with each other.
What worked for Bushbalm might not work for you. That's why you need more resources to find the exact method you can use.
Oh, by the way...
Do you want to know another way to scale your business like Bushbalm?
By having an optimized website!
If you want to gain massive sales like Bushbalm, you have to ensure the efficiency of your website. How will you make sales if your ecommerce store has no conversion triggers? Or poor functionality?
It can also be your Profit Optimization Partner because, through its over 50+ Add-Ons, you can increase your conversions, AOV, and profits!
Sounds incredible, right? Now, it's time to...
14-Day Free Trial. 1 Click Installation. No Credit Card Required.